Sunday, April 4, 2010

Beginnings

As a student, I pride myself on finding the most interesting ways to procrastinate when I'm looking an exam square in the face. Indeed, many of my creative musings (the list is small...) have come to being only because I was avoiding some other inevitable, unenviable and obnoxious commitment requiring my time. Since I have a year-long cumulative 2nd year medical school test tomorrow, another a few days after that, and probably the single-most important test determining whether I'll be taken seriously when applying for residences (Step 1) t-minus 60 days in the future, what better way to spend the afternoon than creating this? I live life for the distractions. Otherwise, I get lost in a bubble world of textbooks and tegrity. School does that to you if you're too serious. Most medical students take themselves too seriously.

What have I eaten today? Why, thank you for asking! I spent the morning on a culinary scavenger hunt putting together an A-team lunch: a turkey & swiss sub from Subway, a non-sweetened iced tea from Whataburger with 2 sugar packs (No ma'am I'm not a control freak, it's just...you see this girth? Right there, around my waist under my seat belt? We're trying to break off our relationship.), and a fruit parfait from the McDonald's on the other side of town. Having created the perfect (-ly dull) breakfunch (brunch sucks), I set to work studying.

Dermatology first. Dermatomyositis. Interesting. Pityriasis Rosea. Mildly interesting. Cellulitis. Not interesting. Herpes! Interesting again! Well, only if you find STDs interesting I suppose (unfortunately it was Zoster...not interesting).

3.5 hours later, it was somewhere around the 200 slide powerpoint presentation on leukemia that I lost interest (or, will-power rather; the interest had been gone for a while). Time for a digression! Like I said, I live for the distractions. I got a new Droid Eris a few months ago, but only recently began to explore it's awesomeness: I downloaded some news apps last week, and all week long I've been playing chess against the phone. Unfortunately, my phone is very good at chess. I, on the other hand, have the attention span of a two-year old. (After a couple hours trying to sort through the various genetic abnormalities associated with leukemia I hope you'll forgive my absentmindedness). Anyway, losing 3x in a row I decided to go with a new distraction. And here we are! Aren't you beautiful? Yes, my pretty new black blog.

Not to infer that my blog is in any way African-American, or emo or anything else. It's just a good look I think. Sleek. I happen to not be black: I'm a nice German/Irish mutt. When I go out and it happens to come up in a conversation (rarely, and more rarely) I tell the girls it's why I have 1) a high-tolerance for alcohol 2) an anger management problem. I've found that for some girls this is a turn-on. I'll never understand women.

Despite all this, I will probably on occasion try to be black. But forgive me, for that is also a very white, middle-class male thing to do. I was reading an article earlier today about emasculation of the male, white-middle class. Whether or not it's true, I still like Missy Elliot and Ranch Dressing. Stuff's on point. Right Mr. ChiCity? We all wanna be somebody different some of the time. I'm happy that, for me, it's not most of the time.

Anyway. I wanna finish with something I plan to do from time to time with this space (if I stick with it): the random ideas section. Today's idea is for all the sickies:

1) How come it's only in the pediatric department in hospitals where the walls get to be painted bright colors and have murals? Just because I'm over the age of 18 doesn't mean that I have lost interest in colors other than white and wouldn't want dinosaurs or something awesome painted on my walls. On the contrary, 17 years later I still think Jurassic Park is a bad-ass movie. From an outsider's perspective looking in on the patient, I feel like we could do more to make hospital halls and rooms more welcoming. Even if it's not painting t-rexes and princesses everywhere. Ya know what I'm sayin'?


--

No comments:

Post a Comment